Moore Park is listed on the State Heritage Register
Its listing reflects its designation as a place of particular importance to the people of NSW, enriching our understanding of our history and identity. It is regarded as being state significant (rather than simply of local heritage significance) as it is important for the whole of NSW. It is also listed on the National Trust register and on the Register of the National Estate. The latter describes Kippax Lake as “a significant landscape element” and "a remnant reminder of the Sydney common” while noting Moore Park’s “significant community recreation focus”.
Several significant items of built heritage remain: Impressive stone pillars that once stood at the entrance to Moore Park east and west remain close to their original position at the City end of Anzac Parade. An early 1860s toll house – the only one remaining in Sydney – is at the intersection of Cleveland Street and Anzac Parade, while a drinking fountain at Kippax Lake dates from 1888.
Many of the Park’s tree plantings date to the 19th century. The most distinctive feature of these plantings is the rows of Moreton Bay and Port Jackson fig trees. The best known, of course, are the trees that line both sides of Anzac Parade. There are also spectacular examples of individual fig trees which are 100 or more years old.
The area that was later to become Moore Park was first set aside for public use by Governor Macquarie on 5th October 1811 as the Second Sydney Common. In 1866 Sydney City Council dedicated 378 acres (153 hectares) of the north west section of Sydney Common as a recreation ground for the public to help alleviate growing pressures for outdoor activities. The area was named Moore Park in 1867 after Charles Moore, Mayor of Sydney City Council.
Stone pillars formed impressive gateways to the new Moore Park - a poignant reminder that the vision of Moore Park’s founders 150 years ago was for a park of consequence and permanency for the people of Sydney.
These four photos from the collections of the State Library of NSW were taken around 1870-1875. They show Moore Park looking down the Randwick Road (now Anzac Parade) and across what is now Moore Park West to Fitzroy Street.
Kippax Lake is named after a Sydney City Council Alderman, William Kippax. It is significant from a heritage perspective, having once been a natural water hole that was part of a network of water reserves used to supply Sydney’s early water. The drinking fountain there dates from 1888 [3rd photo below].